Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sally Kohn: Let’s try emotional correctness

In this TED talk, Sally Kohn talks about being emotional correctness. Now we always hear people saying that ideas are politically correct but sometimes its not what they say, but how they say it. The way that we say things can truly affect how our words are taken in. Even when I was a little my parents would tell me to apologize to my brother for being mean and I would stand there, with my hand on my hip, rolling my eyes saying sorry in the most sassy way possible. My parents would tell me that the way I was saying sorry was not acceptable and I had to come back when i had a real apology. Now obviously I technically was saying sorry but my words didn't mean anything because they had not sincerity in them at all. Just like Sally Kohn, what my parents is saying is that our words are meaningless and can be portrayed in the wrong way if we do not use them in the correct way. Emotional correctness is is being respectful of every ones views even if you don't believe in what they are saying. If people were to start talking through there disagreements then maybe they can find common ground and this is the first step to change.




No comments:

Post a Comment