Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Whats Wrong with Gogol?

As I keep reading the The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, I learn that Gogol seriously hates his name. He questions why his parents would name him something so odd. "I don't get it. How come you guys name me after someone so strange? No one takes me seriously," (Lahiri 100). But the only person who didn't take the name Gogol, seriously, was himself. So Gogol decides to change his name because, well, he can. Even his father gives him permission and tells him,"In America anything is possible. Do as you wish."(100). Now Gogol is no longer Gogol. We can now refer to him as Nikhil. Later we read that Nikhil's father, Ashoke finally tells Nikhil about the story behind Gogol. "He tells Gogol the story of the train he'd ridden twenty-eight years ago, in October 1961, on his way to visit his grandfather in Jamshedpur. He tells him about the night that had nearly taken his life, and the book that had saved him, and about the year afterward, when he'd been unable to move."(123). So Gogol finds out that he wasn't just named after an Author, but an Author of a book that had saved his fathers life. Still confused and mad about the whole situation Gogol asks his father if he reminds him of that life. Ashoke replies," Not at all [...] You remind me of everything that followed. AW, well wasn't that sweet, Ashoke. I'm sure that Gogol is feeling pretty bad about changing his name now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Annie,

    As you pointed out, I'm sure that Gogol feels at least bit of regret for changing his name after Ashoke tells him the story of the train incident. I'm really having a tough time trying to figure out why on earth Ashoke didn't tell his son the story earlier. "It never felt like the right time" (Lahiri 123) seems like a pretty invalid justification from Ashoke. I think he told the reason for the name "Gogol" way too late for it to make a difference.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you when saying he has some regret for changing his name, but another part you could use for evidence is when his parents call him Nikhil and he feels uncomfortable and annoyed even though that's what he wanted them to do. I think that the main reason why he changed his name in the first place was to sort of rebel against his parents who he feels limited him to just the Indian culture growing up. The biggest tragedy though is the fact that I don't think Nikhil (or Gogol) was able to tell his dad how he really felt about his name before he died.

    ReplyDelete